Monday, August 18, 2008

A Strange New World

Captain's Log, Stardate...no, wait-wrong website! Well, after having been established in my new seat of power for over a week, I felt it was finally time to make my contribution to this 21st Century contraption known as a "blog". I cannot help but appreciate the irony of my situation! Having grown up with electronics and associated technology, one might think Matt Brinson completely at home in the world of Facetube and YouSpace. But I miss the heady days of Telnet and Archie, when successfully using the Internet was a hard-fought pain in the posterior! Alas, I digress...


California. Until last Sunday, it remained that mythical place where only TV images resided, not real people. My long journey over, it honestly felt like I had arrived in another country--driving over 3,000 miles in four days probably contributed to that feeling--as California once was. It occurred to me just this afternoon that this is my first time residing in territory not originally American; what an odd feeling! As one of the original thirteen states, North Carolina (a most proud and prosperous place) certainly qualified as "home", while California once belonged to Mexico before its 1848 "purchase". I suppose that could explain the overwhelming Latin complexion of the area.


Anyway, the drive here actually went quite smoothly! With plenty of good music (ranging from Benny Goodman to Duran Duran) and a new BlackBerry phone to guide me, I made excellent progress. The first day's traveling took me through Ohio and Kentucky, concluding in Nashville, Tennessee. Though I never tire of the Midwestern variety, I must confess it was good to hear some Southern accents again!

Ahh, the Sunny South once more!


Day two saw me at the Shiloh National Battlefield, a place I've wanted to visit since my long-lost teenage years. Due to rigorous enforcement of Murphy's Law, however, rain plagued the entire visit and cut it short. Nevertheless, I was able to see many of the sights I had heretofore only read about and was not disappointed. A remarkably well-preserved battlefield (probably because it's as much in the middle of nowhere now as it was in 1862!), Shiloh is a very compact place, and I couldn't help but be awed by the fact that over 100,000 men fought it out in such a tight space over just two days! The tranquil sound of the rain pattering through the trees seemed at odds with the terrible events that once took place there. Mercifully, my imagination could not ultimately comprehend what images would have greeted a contemporary witness.


The Hornet's Nest at Shiloh
(The monuments represent how close the opposing battle lines were to each other at this point)

The Bloody Pond (Shiloh)
(The wounded of both sides came here to drink and bathe their wounds)


The Tennessee River at Pittsburg Landing (Shiloh)
(Over 10,000 Union soldiers cowered on the bluff I was standing on by the end of the first day's fighting, hoping to escape to the east bank)

My limited sightseeing over, I proceeded to make serious tracks. Leaving Memphis, I made it all the way to the Lone Star state of Texas, the "Proud Home of President George W. Bush" according to a highway sign...no joke! Liberal Democrats should probably not rank Texas among their potential vacation destinations. Another day's travels brought me to Flagstaff, Arizona and an overinflated hotel rate; it didn't take me long to realize the ski resort affiliation of the town. The timing proved fortuitous, however, as I was able to make it to the Grand Canyon the next morning, and the detour was well worth it.

My first glimpse after walking from the car...wow

An even better view--note the two glimpses of the Colorado River


Cliched though the expression is, pictures do not do it justice! Ironically, there must have been at least four foreigners for every American there! Lucky for me that America's international image is improving, otherwise I might have been pushed over the side. And frighteningly enough, that fate could have befallen anyone there. With few exceptions, there are no barriers along the rim to prevent an especially painful and time-consuming demise! I won't even try to hide my lack of intestinal fortitude...I kept a very respectful distance from the edge. Anyway, it's breathtaking and my only regret is in spending so little time there.


I made it to Irvine that same evening, an especially welcome sight after driving through hours of desert! The California border town of Needles gave me a rough shock, however, with $5/gallon gasoline...remember that scene in The Grapes of Wrath where they stopped for gas? That was Needles! Maybe they're still stuck in the Depression, or perhaps it's the desert heat...luckily, I was bound for the utopian weather of the coast. I'll admit that the weather is quite nice, but I miss a little variety...I'd even settle for a little cloud cover. Oh well, I guess North Carolina will have to enjoy its scattered afternoon and evening tornadoes without me from now on.


Your eyes must be killing you by now...I'll give you a break. Suffice it to say that I am settling in nicely, although I really do miss Angie; she is my anchor and truly brings out the best in me. I miss all my friends and family, but am really looking forward to a visit from my Mom and Keith this week! With any luck, I may even make it home to NC before Christmas. I'll write more again soon to let you guys know how things are going here. Take care, you guys, and keep in touch!


Matt

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear you made it to CA safe and sound, Matt! Hope that you are getting settled into your new stomping grounds...

August 24, 2008 at 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home