Saturday, January 24, 2009

The San Diego Zoo

Last weekend, Matt and I went to the San Diego Zoo to use his Christmas present to me for the first time -- a dual, year-long membership to the San Diego Zoo and the affiliated Wild Animal Park! But before we get too into that, I would like to show you a picture of my new glasses. Although I had some challenges with the optometrist here in Irvine, my new specs are fabulous. I had initially chosen a different, more conservative pair, but then Matt and I went back for him to see the ones I had chosen and he helped me select these. I actually love them and have, at least so far, been able to avoid doing things that make glasses fit less well... you know, things like laying down on the couch to watch television with the glasses mashed between your head and the pillow. This has actually become more of a problem as of late, as I just got started watching the HBO series Big Love, and have gotten Matt kind of into it as well. Any other followers?

My new glasses... what do you think?

But now back to our exciting weekend! The San Diego Zoo is actually quite awesome. The first thing we did, after walking around for a bit, was to feed the giraffes... for five bucks each! Can you believe that it is that cheap to feed giraffes? We were the third group of people in line, and we both had an awesome time. Unfortunately, when I was taking photos of Matt, I emphasized quantity over quality, so I got three pictures of him standing by the giraffes, but not really feeding them....

Matt standing by the giraffes... thanks to my poor photography skills!

Matt actually went for the opposite, quality over quantity, and got a great picture of me feeding the biggest giraffe.

A really good picture!

You can also see the Zoo employee in the background taking pictures. We almost forgot to check them out before leaving, but then we saw them and of course I had to have some... so we bought a small package (it goes without saying that the Zoo photographer was really better than both Matt and I put together).

Side note: Although we did not publish a post about this, we also went to the Star Trek Exhibition in San Diego a few weeks ago at the Air and Space Museum as part of the present that I got Matt for Christmas, and we bought the pictures there, too, of us sitting in the Enterprise and in that one room where people are transported through space (you can see that my Star Trek knowledge is limited at best... I would have been completely lost without the audio tour). It was still really cool, though, and Matt totally enjoyed it.

But I digress!

In other adventures at the Zoo, we compared the size of our hands to those of a gorilla....

Matt's hand is smaller than that of a gorilla...

... and my hand is smaller than both of their hands. Astonishing, I know!

And, in some rare perfect photos, I got some great shots of the flamingos.

All of the flamingos came out to see us!

And this is the one I paid to serve as my model... kidding, kidding.

I think that is all there is to report this time around... things have been busy for us, except for our weekend adventures. In related news, my parents are going to be coming to visit us for my thirtieth birthday (I know, I cannot believe it myself... that I will be thirty, that is... I do believe that my parents would want to come visit us!) and so I am thinking about a trip to Disneyland (it is free on your birthday, even if you will be thirty!) as well as maybe some whale-watching activities. Who knows, who knows... I still have some time to plan.

I will try to keep you all posted, my three readers (I know who you are!), on the happenings in our lives. We hope that things are going well with you all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

I'm jealous of your nice weather! Rrrr! By the way, I also recommend you check out Universal Studios and do the backlot tour. Fun stuff!

January 27, 2009 at 5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home